I hate to sound negative, because I know how annoying it is to read whiny posts. But I promise you, this post has a happy ending!
But with how everyone is saying how EASY it is to self-publishing e-books, I feel incredibly STUPID for not getting it.
Problems I’m having:
1. Cover Size dimensions: My cover artist keeps asking for specific sizes, and I keep avoiding him because I don’t know lol. I think I found the Amazon one as 600×800 pixels, but that info was from a Forum and I don’t know how accurate the info is.
2. Lulu and Smashwords: Getting very mixed feedback about these! I don’t like Lulu because I’d rather have 100% instead of 60% with how hard I worked on this dang book. And, well, I’m unemployed. I can’t afford much right now so 100% would be ideal.
On Smashwords I heard a lot of horror stories from not getting paid to formatting mishaps. I’m not sure if it was just individual experiences (heard more than ten) or if Smashwords customer service is as bad as people say. And if it is, is it worth it?
My biggest beef with Lulu and Smashwords is that I heard if an agent likes your work, and you’re registered your book with Lulu and Smashwords, you can’t get an agent contract? I don’t like this idea.
OMG! I didn’t know how expensive ISBN’s are!
I want my book to be ready to buy a printed edition as well. With how epic of a cover it is, I’m sure they’ll want one. I know I do! And I want friends/family to have printed hard copy’s too.
What is the cheapest way to go about this? I can probably spare $300 to this process, but that is a high stretch for me….unemployed writer, remember? I know Lulu offers free ISBN’s, but, that brings me back to point 2.
I’m shopping around for services to do this for me, because I want it done right the first time.
I’m a first time author. I don’t want to be wiped off the board because of poor formatting and bad grammar. Luckily I have a wonderful editor to take care of the second one, but I’m nervous about the formatting. Because I”m a little slow…I don’t want to mess up. I’d rather have a pro do it. Kind of like fixing the kitchen sink. You COULD try to do it yourself, if you know a little bit about plumbing. But I’d rather have it done right.
So yeah, that’s what I’m going through this week. I had my heart set on October 1st being the launch day, but I’m not so sure I’ll get it to that point. I’d rather it be done right than be done faster.
My dear friend @Tweetthebook called the publishing world madness. I THOUGHT I knew what he meant, I didn’t even know the half of it!
I know however all this stress will be worth it in the end when I hold my baby in my hands.
But to end this post on a positive note, this week had been really amazing!
1. I approached a few of my favorite YouTubers who do book review vlogs with HUGE followers (like 200+ in some cases!) and they agreed to do a review for an ARC! This made me do a happy dance. Like wow, people want to read my work? Better feeling than finishing a book 🙂
2. My website for the Zeppelin Odyssey is done! I’m so super proud of it. It’s simple for right now because I don’t have the cover art yet, but it’s nice and clean and easy to navigate. I’ve got what the book is about, the trailer, character bios, author bio’s, reviews and contact page. When my cover art comes, the background will be replaced with the cover. For now it’s a soothing grey. Because, well, I can use all the relaxing I can get lol.
I’d do another happy dance if you all check it out being the wonderful person you are: http://thezeppelinodyssey.wordpress.com/
3) Finished a GREAT book! I hadn’t read such a good book in a long time. Made me love reading again. My Life Undecided, by Jessica Brody. I’ll do a proper review for her tomorrow because she was kind enough to Tweet me back! She’s my new favorite YA author 🙂 Going to read the Karma Club when I’m done with Red Pyramid. See, I’m a reader now! Sorta lol, love my Kindle.
4) Sending my NYC editor my MS for the Time Traveling Diaries of Sebastian Barkley Volume One: the Duke’s Trumpet tomorrow so he can begin working on it on Monday. Soooooo excited for this you have no idea! Can’t wait for him to work his magic on it and make it better. It’s okay now, but I know it can improve.
Any help or advice would be appreciated! But I’m not expecting you guys to do the work for me. I just promised when I started this blog I would take you through the road of publishing. And that’s what I’m doing. Sorry for the whine-fest. But I tried to balance it out with the good 🙂 Cuz that’s just who I am this week…sorry, won’t quote Fall Out Boy again hehe.
What are you guys up to? Writing? Editing? Promoting? Reading? I wanna hear YOUR story!
And I’m going to trrrrrrrrrry to get a Celebrity Saturday NEXT week. I’ve got a family Reunion this week or else I would get my lazy butt back into interviews, because, I miss them lol.
So that’s it guys, hope it wasn’t too rambly. I’m a very rambly person if you couldn’t tell. I can’t help it lol.
Keep writing, Keep Reading, Stay awesome!